Ever been to a bar during happy hour? A ball-game (any kind)? The hot new club that just opened downtown? A concert for your favorite band? The grocery store? The Laundromat? The gym?
See the connection yet? No? Well, they’re all places guys try to pick up girls.
And they’re all places where every girl who’s ever tried to get picked up – and those of us who were just there for the concert/drinks/workout/to do our laundry – have been hit on and have heard some of the world’s worst pick up lines.
Recently I blogged about two of the worst first – and subsequently last– dates I’d ever had. I asked a lot of girls/women/moms/aunts/females while I was writing that blog, what were some of the most God-awful pickup lines they’d ever been tossed. Here are the ones I absolutely loved – and by loved I mean really hated – the most.
- “Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?”
- “Wait. I need to get my sunglasses on. You’re beauty is blinding me.”
- “Nice legs; what time do they open?”
- Do you have a map? ‘Cause I just got lost in your eyes.
- Is it hot in here, or is that just you?
- Somebody better call God, because he’s missing one of his angels
- Hey, I lost my phone number … will you give me yours?
- If I told you you had a great body, would you hold it against me?
- Something’s wrong with my cell phone…your number’s not in it.
- I will volunteer as tribute for you. ( I have to admit, this one I like!!)
As a writer, I try to shy away from my characters using cheesy pickup lines except if the character’s personality calls for it. I never want a reader to dislike one of my characters unless – again – my goal is to make them unlikable. And believe me, if any of my male characters said anything like the above, they would be unlikeable.
Pick up lines can be written with humor – or not! They can make you laugh or cringe; giggle or gag. A well written one will stick in your memory. But then again, a bad one will as well.
So. Worst pickup lines you’ve ever heard…let’s discuss….