Tena is a paranormal romance author with a self-proclaimed over-active imagination. She wrote her first vampire romance at the age of twelve, to the chagrin of her mother and the delight of her friends. Colorado is her home; shared with her husband, a brilliant Chow Chow, a spoiled parrot and a forty-year-old box turtle. Any winter evening, you can find her curled up in front of a crackling fire with a good book, a mug of hot chocolate and a big bowl of popcorn. She’s sounds like fun, right? I “Sat” down with her recently and put her through the Peggy Jaeger questions. Here’s the interview:
Tena, The Writer
- What drives you to write? The stories in my head. They have always been there, as long as I can remember. As I’ve mentioned before, I wrote my first vampire romance as a tween. Even my mother thought I was a strange kid. My friends loved my stories.
- What genre(s) of Romance do your write, and why? Paranormal Romance. Why, because of the magic and the ability to whisk away my readers from their normal, just for a while.
- What genre(s) of Romance do you read, and why? Paranormal, Fantasy, Historical Medevil. For the same reason I write it to escape reality.
- What’s your writing schedule? I write about 6 – 8 hours a day. Do you write everyday? Yes. Wednesday Mornings is my promo time. Lately its taken up a bit more time, but I try to stay to that routine.
- Give us a glimpse of the surroundings where you write. Separate office on the main floor of my home.
- Are you the kind of writer who needs total quiet to compose, or are you able to filter out the typical sounds of the day and use your tunnelvision? I like it quiet. My parrot talks in the background, my dog runs in and out and I like that.
- Do you listen to music while you write, and if so, what kind? When I am editing, I listen to Rock, like Bon Jovi, ect. When I write, it’s quite.
- How did you come up with the plotline/idea for your current WIP? That would be A Wedding For The Holidays – It was my Nano project. I wrote A Witch’s Journey – Lobster Cove book (TWRP contracted in November) and found that the characters where not done with me — at all. So we worked out a holiday story that covers Thanksgiving – through New Years Day to finish their story. I hope. I’m not quite done yet, but it’s coming along.
- Which comes first for you – character or plot? The characters. They tell me who they are what they are doing and the story they want told. And why? To make the voices be quiet for a while. I can only ignore them for so long, or they will invade my dreams.
- What 3 words describes you, the writer? Driven. Quirky. Passionate.
Tena, The Person
- Tell us one unusual thing about yourself – not related to writing! I’m a geek. I love technology.
- Who was your first love and what age were you? That would be my husband and at age 23 years.
- If you could relive one day, which one would it be? Think GROUNDHOG DAY, the movie for this one – you’ll have to live it over and over and…. The day I got my first book contract. I think I squealed all day long.
- Do you like a guy in boxers, briefs, or commando?Briefs — No let’s make that commando.
- If you had to give up one necessary-can’t-live-without-it beauty item, what would it be? Mascara. Being blonde, I look like I have no eyelashes without mascara.
- What three words describes you, the person? Honest, Loyal and have a strong moral compass.
- If you could sing a song with Jimmy Fallon, what would it be? Elvis Presley’s Can Help Falling In Love.
- If you could hang out with any literary character from any book penned at any time line, who would it by, why, and what would you do together? The Werewolf, Cooper, from Molly Harper’s How To Flirt With A Naked Werewolf. He was a hot alpha male, and a guide in Alaska. We would explore the Alaska Outback and Denali National Park.
I love the Actor’s Studio show on Bravo, so this is my version of it:
- Favorite sound – An Eagle’s cry
- Least favorite sound – Nails on a chalk board
- Best song every written – I Will Always Love You. (Whitney Houston)
- Worst song ever written – Anything from Bob Dylan
- Favorite actor and actress – Chris Helmsworth and Sandra Bullock
- Who would you want to be for 1 day and why? (It can be anyone living or dead) Bindi Irwin – I love her conservation mindset and the fact she lives in Australia Zoo, working with the animals on a daily basis. I was also a big fan of her father, Steve Irwin. I’ll never forget the eulogy she gave for her father when she was just 8 years old. It was amazing.
- What turns you on? Confidence
- What turns you off? Ego
- Give me the worst 5 words ever heard on a first date ( here’s mine: “Is that your real hair?”) Have we met in a former life?
- What’s your version of a perfect day? Last year for my birthday, my husband arranged for a private tour of Cheyenne Mountain Air Station (NORAD) I’d wanted to do that my whole life. It was perfect!
Tena’s Contact Information:
Tena is also one of the fabulous authors listed in The Wild Rose Press CANDY HEARTS series this year.
Her book, CHARM ME releases on January 6, 2016. Here are the buy links and a bonus – the blurb, excerpt and cover. Enjoy!
Blurb: Summer Dawn Riley’s an extraordinary elemental witch whose troubled past haunts her. She’s created a calm life for herself teaching yoga and keeping people at a distance. Her life takes a one eighty degree turn when she enrolls in a women’s weapons class and meets ruggedly handsome Devlin Sawyer.
Devlin, a former Navy Seal, has sworn off women after two long-term failed relationships, but there is no denying his attraction to Summer. She intrigues him like no other woman ever has. Despite her attempts to ignore him, Summer is drawn to Devlin. His magic signature is strong, but he’s no warlock. Will Valentine’s Day magic find them a future together?
Getting to her feet, she brushed the dust from her black yoga pants, tugged at the bottom of her bright orange tunic, and flipped the light switch on. A soft glow of florescent lighting flooded the large room, soothing Summer’s nerves. Guess she would never be the same carefree individual she was before the incident. Oh, shake it off. You’re safe and it’s time to get on with life. “Come on Pip, let’s get this place open.”
A massive stone fireplace towered in the corner. She picked up an arm full of wood and flung it in the general direction. Logs landed in the fire pit and neatly arranged themselves in a tepee shape. With a magic flick of her finger toward the hearth, flames raced up the aspen logs. “That’s better.”
She raised her arms, about to send the yoga mats back to their proper place when the heavy wooden front door creaked open. Piper rushed toward the door, teeth bared and a growl rumbled in her throat. Summer whirled around and yelped as Devlin ambled into the room, black hair tousled and glistening with melting snowflakes. His nonchalance at the dog’s approach surprised her as he slowed to a stop. Piper sniffed around him, backed up a few inches, then stood at alert in front of Devlin.
“You scared the bejeebers out of me.” Summer held her hand to her chest as her heart thundered.
“What are you doing here?”
“Call your guard dog off and I’ll tell you.” The corners of Devlin’s mouth curved up into a smile, a faint light twinkled in the depths of his dark eyes.
“Piper, leave it…come.” The dog gave Devlin a last sideways glance, trotted back to Summer and sat at her side.
I just like to add a little about my debut novel A Demon’s Witch. If you’re looking for an exciting feel good romance for someone for Christmas, please check out A Demon’s Witch.
Blurb: Keeping a lid on all the paranormal beings inhabiting Washington D.C., is a daunting job. Bruce, a six hundred year old demon and the Territory Overlord of the Western Hemisphere, keeps his finger on the pulse of DC’s power players through the activities at his highly successful Wycked Hair Salon. His movie star good looks and body builder physique keeps his dance card full and the rumor mills running. Within these walls, his anonymity is safe, mostly.
Bruce’s world spins out of control when Angelique, a pint size, gorgeous witch, with an attitude breezes through the doors of his salon. She is the younger sister of Tristian, Bruce’s long time trusted enforcer, whose professional skills are second to none. Tristian is furious at the relationship between Bruce and Angelique, a dangerous situation. The undeniable attraction between demon and witch promises to tear apart both their professional and personal worlds.