Today I get to introduce you to my Wild Rose Press author/sistah Ally Hayes. Ally is one of the CandyHearts writers and I featured her blurb and excerpt yesterday. Today you get to know her a little better – and she’s a sweetheart! And don’t forget to enter the Wild Rose Press rafflecopter to win a Kindle Fire ( details at the end of the interview)
Author Interview Questions:
Ally, The Writer:
- What drives you to write? Reading. I’ve always been both inspired by, and jealous of authors.
- What genre(s) of Romance do your write, and why? Relatable, romantic comedies. I always keep in mind that my friends will be reading my stories and strive to keep them entertained.
- What genre(s) of Romance do you read, and why? While I only write contemporary, I’m more open to other genres for my own reading. I tend to read certain genres at different times of the year. I love an epic historical during the winter months and can’t resist a good steamy story to take to the pool or beach in the summer.
- What’s your writing schedule? Do you write everyday? I do write most days, but allow myself ‘off’ days when it just isn’t feasible or coming to me easily. Some days I’m the boss, some days the characters order me around.
- Give us a glimpse of the surroundings where you write. Separate room? In the kitchen? At the dining room table? I write all my first drafts longhand in notebooks and just about anywhere from my desk, to outside and even in the car while I wait for one of my kids to finish a practice or lesson. When it comes time for typing and editing, I need the discipline of sitting at my desk in a space we added off our kitchen around the same time I began writing every day. It has 9 windows so I have plenty of light which is important to me. When I write at night (or early in the morning) I turn on every light in the house and drive everyone else crazy.
- Are you the kind of writer who needs total quiet to compose, or are you able to filter out the typical sounds of the day and use your tunnelvision? With three daughters I’ve learned to filter out sounds and create my own tunnelvision, but they’d say I hear everything. If I needed total silence I’d never get anything finished.
- Do you listen to music while you write, and if so, what kind? If not, why not? I don’t listen to music because I find lyrics distracting and too influential. I’ve tried instrumental, but it made me drowsy.
- How did you come up with the plotline/idea for your current WIP? Group texts have given me a few ideas over the last few years. Whenever a friend includes me in a conversation with others I don’t know, I always wonder who the unknown number is and try to figure them out by their responses. It’s been like a game and always interesting when I do discover their identity later. When I heard about the call for submission for the Candy Hearts Series I thought I could incorporate the theme and it took off from there.
- Which comes first for you – character or plot? And why? The plot comes first then the characters evolve. I’m not sure why. Hmm.
- What 3 words describes you, the writer? Focused. Frustrated. Funny.
- Tell us one unusual thing about yourself – not related to writing! I can’t sing. Really, can’t even fake it. My parents used to pay me to keep quiet on long car rides.
- Who was your first love and what age were you? I fell head-over-heels for the ‘bad boy’ when I was a 14 year-old freshman in high school.
- If you could relive one day, which one would it be? Think GROUNDHOG DAY, the movie for this one – you’ll have to live it over and over and…. The last day of spring break as a senior in college in Key West with my friends and boyfriend (who is now my husband). From breakfast on the beach to a sunset booze cruise and late night antics – it was perfect then and even more so in my head now as an adult with the responsibilities I didn’t have back then.
- Do you like a guy in boxers, briefs, or commando? Boxers, without a doubt.
- If you had to give up one necessary-can’t-live-without-it beauty item, what would it be? If forced, I’d give up my eyeliner. I’d then have to explain why I look so tired.
- What three words describes you, the person? Fun, energetic and caring.
- If you could sing a song with Jimmy Fallon, what would it be? This would be a dream come true. I’d love to sing anything from the 1980s with him, but singing (well, lip-synching, see #1 above) with him in character as Bruce Springsteen would be amazing. Maybe Glory Days?
- If you could hang out with any literary character from any book penned at any time line, who would it by, why, and what would you do together? Laura Ingalls Wilder because she started my love of reading and writing. We’d go stir up trouble with Nellie and the other kids.
I love the Actor’s Studio show on Bravo, so this is my version of it:
- Favorite sound – a baby’s laugh
- Least favorite sound – other people chewing gum
- Best song every written – One by U2
- Worst song ever written – Friday by Rebecca Black
- Favorite actor and actress – Jimmy Stewart and Jennifer Lawrence
- Who would you want to be for 1 day and why? ( It can be anyone living or dead) Beyonce. Just to see if she’s really as cool as she seems.
- What turns you on? Humor
- What turns you off? Self-absorbed people.
- Give me the worst 5 words ever heard on a first date ( here’s mine: “Is that your real hair?”) You can drive us, right
- What’s your version of a perfect day? -waking up on my own -no alarm clock or kids waking me- and having no agenda whatsoever.
Here are the buy links for SECRET ADMIRER
You can find my review here:
You can find Ally here
Win a KINDLE FIRE, courtesy of the Wild Rose Press: (Click on the http://link)<a class=”rcptr” href=”http://www.rafflecopter.com/rafl/display/126861c115/” rel=”nofollow” data-raflid=”126861c115″ data-theme=”classic” data-template=”” id=”rcwidget_vibd13mu”>a Rafflecopter giveaway</a>