Today I have a treat for you. I’m introducing you to writer, Rachel Brimble. She’s giving us a little insight into her life as a writer and it’s pretty fascinating. Stick around to read a blurb of her newest release HER ONE TRUE LOVE.
Author Interview Questions:
Part 1: The Writer Questions
- What drives you to write? It’s a compulsion – I suppose it’s the need to do what makes me happy. I am happiest when I am at the laptop and creating. My work gives me a sense of freedom and a break from real-life problems. It’s my fuel…
- What genre(s) of Romance do your write, and why? I write mainstream romance, romantic suspense and historical romance – I write romance because I love working toward the happy ever after. As for the different genres, I write whatever story is pulling at me to do so. The sub-genre usually comes clear once I start planning the story…
- What genre(s) of Romance do you read, and why? I read all sub-genres apart from paranormal – my imagination can’t seem to stretch far enough to become invested in vampires, shifters etc.
- What’s your writing schedule? Do you write everyday? I am lucky enough to be able to write full-time around my family so I write from 8.30am-5.30pm every week day with a lunch break and a couple of dog walks in between. I TRY not to write at the weekends, but it’s hard!
- Give us a glimpse of the surroundings where you write. Separate room? In the kitchen? At the dining room table? For the last year I have had my own office, but I used to write at the kitchen table or on the sofa with my laptop. My office is my haven!
- Are you the kind of writer who needs total quiet to compose, or are you able to filter out the typical sounds of the day and use your tunnelvision? I need silence to create but can edit, work on promo etc in any sort of noise and often have the radio on or the kids coming in and out of my office.
- Do you listen to music while you write, and if so, what kind? If not, why not? See above – radio on when doing any other work but creating.
- How did you come up with the plotline/idea for your current WIP? The heroine, Jane, appeared in my previous Victorian romance, What A Woman Desires and very soon I knew she needed her own story and Her One True Love was born. Both books can be read stand-alone so no worries if you haven’t read the previous book!
- Which comes first for you – character or plot? And why? Neither – it’s usually a premise or issue that I want to write about and then I have to figure out the plot and the characters who will carry the story for 80,000 + words. I love the discovery stage and look forward to following where my characters lead me.
- What 3 words describes you, the writer? Dedicated, hardworking & happy
The Person Questions:
- Tell us one unusual thing about yourself – not related to writing! I have had my haircut professionally since my wedding day in 1998 – sometimes curls are fabulous!
- Who was your first love and what age were you? I THOUGHT I was in love when I was sixteen, but the real love of my life came along when I was eighteen – we’ve been married 18 years this June and I love him more than ever.
- If you could relive one day, which one would it be? Think GROUNDHOG DAY, the movie for this one – you’ll have to live it over and over and….The day I went to Ashford Castle in Ireland for afternoon tea with Nora Roberts and then an overnight stay in the 5-star castle. It was a day I’ll never forget…
- Do you like a guy in boxers, briefs, or commando?Boxers
- If you had to give up one necessary-can’t-live-without-it beauty item, what would it be?My foundation – can’t leave the house without applying it. Ever!
- What three words describes you, the person? Caring, funny (hopefully!) and spiritual.
- If you could sing a song with Jimmy Fallon, what would it be?I don’t know who Jimmy Fallon is…sorry! Also, NO ONE ever wants to hear me sing!
- If you could hang out with any literary character from any book penned at any time line, who would it by, why, and what would you do together? Eve Dallas from the JD Robb ‘In Death’ series – just love her! She’s strong, dedicated with a great sense of humor. We’d have a great time 😀
I love the Actor’s Studio show on Bravo, so this is my version of it
- Favorite sound :My kids’ laughter
- Least favorite sound :My alarm clock
- Best song every written She – by Charles Aznavour (Love the version by Elvis Costello)
- Worst song ever written Anything by Black Lace!
- Favorite actor and actress Leonardo Dicaprio & Julie Walters
- Who would you want to be for 1 day and why? ( It can be anyone living or dead) Oprah Winfrey – she works hard but seems to know how to relax and enjoy the simpler things in life.
- What turns you on? Laughter
- What turns you off? Sarcasm
- Give me the worst 5 words ever heard on a first date ( here’s mine: “Is that your real hair?”) “I don’t like to read.”
- What’s your version of a perfect day? Long walk in the English countryside with my husband, kids and chocolate lab, followed by a long lunch in a gorgeous country pub.
HER ONE TRUE LOVE
She Can’t Forget Him…
Jane Charlotte Danes has loved the squire of her idyllic country town for as long as she can remember. He is good, kind, and alluring beyond words… and he chose to marry another. Tired of dwelling on her futile longings, Jane plans a move to Bath, where she dreams of a new beginning. But the man who has so imprisoned her heart is only a few steps behind…
He Can’t Let Her Go…
Until now, Matthew Cleaves has endeavored to meet the responsibilities of his position with dignity and good spirits–including his dutiful marriage. But when his wife leaves him for another man, Matthew is at last free to pursue his one true love. Only one vital question remains: will the captivating, stubborn, beautiful Jane allow him the challenge, and the pleasure, of winning her back?..
Rachel lives with her husband and two teenage daughters in a small town near Bath in the UK. After having several novels published by small US presses, she secured agent representation in 2011. Since 2013, she has had five books published by Harlequin Superromance (Templeton Cove Stories) and recently signed a contract for three more. She also has four Victorian romances with eKensington/Lyrical Press.
Rachel is a member of the Romantic Novelists Association and Romance Writers of America, and was selected to mentor the Superromance finalist of So You Think You Can Write 2014 contest. When she isn’t writing, you’ll find Rachel with her head in a book or walking the beautiful English countryside with her family. Her dream place to live is Bourton-on-the-Water in South West England.
She likes nothing more than connecting and chatting with her readers and fellow romance writers. Rachel would love to hear from you!