There’s an old expression: If you want something done fast, give it to a busy person?
Story of my current life. Let me ‘esplain.
When I retired to write full time I thought, “Yippie! Now I get to spend all my time during my days writing down the stories that have been swirling in my head.”
That jubilation lasted about a year. With the advent of more books published, I had to start doing other things than write to ensure that my writing got seen by people so they could, you know…buy the books. ( It’s all about sales, peeps).
First came a website, then social media accounts that needed postings, then book signings, author appearances, conference presentations, media appearances, all to get my name and my work “out there.”
Soon, it wasn’t so much about the writing as it was about the selling, and my desire to write all day long the stories that had been swirling around inside me started to become secondary.
This is an example of what I’ve been working on the for the past week when I should have been concentrating on finishing a book with a July 1 deadline – a deadline that can’t be moved or added to. (And let’s remember, I’m traditionally published. If I had to do the self publishing of my work I’d probably quit because I’d have no time. Make that definitely quit because I had not time.)
- Listen to auditions for a new book going to audio.
- Listen to a completed book on audio for mistakes, changes, etc. and edit.
- Galley edits on a Christmas 2018 release.
- second round of edits for the first book in my new small town bridal series.
- work on writing the second book in my new small town bridal series.
- outline 3rd book in the new small town bridal series.
- promote ( via sm)my current book release
- promote ( via sm) my current audio relase
- finish first draft of book due COMPLETED july 1.
- blogs posts for the week for the website.
- MFRWauthor blog post for next friday.
- create sale posters for books to promote on sm
- a face book party
- read and write reviews for 3 friends’ new book releases.
- query letters to agents and editors
- sm posts to keep my name in the public eye, daily.
All of that in addition to the normal every day stuff like bathing, eating, laundry and trying to slip in a gym workout everyday. Plus, some very real and personal issues that have cropped up during the past few weeks and that are extremely time consuming, time sensitive, and soul sucking.
I don’t know how I would handle all this if I didn’t have chronic insomnia.
I’m not telling you this so you’ll feel sorry for me ( Well, maybe a smidge ***holds index finger and thumb up, almost touching!**) I’m simply lamenting that my desire to just write the stories that have been swirling around in me ( 3rd mention!! heehee)have gone the way of the dinosaur.
Another old saying? Be careful what you wish for; you just may get it.
Now you tell me!